Resort Places with Magnificent Views in Japan
ReleaseJune 17, 2020
There are many attractive resort places in Japan. Whether you want to refresh yourself in the great outdoors, or relax on the beach or in an onsen, away from your daily life, a wealth of excitement awaits you in places all over Japan.
(1) Karuizawa (Nagano Prefecture)A famous summer retreat and cottage area, Karuizawa is a highland resort with a pleasant breeze and the comforting murmur of flowing rivers. Another attractive aspect of Karuizawa is that the area has many unique shops and restaurants.
・Harunire Terrace in Karuizawa Hoshino Area
A small town was created among about 100 wild Harunire (Japanese elm) trees. A total of 16 shops, restaurants, and cafes stand along the clear stream. Walk in sunlight through leafy areas, and take the time to search for your favorite shop.
Harunire Terrace in Karuizawa Hoshino Area
Access: 20 min. by bus from Karuizawa Station
・Sawaya Jam Factory
Sawaya’s jams are popular because they are made with fresh seasonal domestically-grown fruit and are low in sugar. Its jam factory offers a jam-making class, where various kinds of seasonal fruit are used, including apricots and apples.
Sawaya Jam Factory
Access: A pickup and drop-off service is available to and from Karuizawa Station. *A reservation is required.
(2) Furano (Hokkaido)Located nearly in the center of Hokkaido, Furano is famous as a place where movies and dramas are filmed. The beautiful hills and wonderful rural landscape create a gorgeous view.
The view of the hill, entirely covered with purple lavender plants like a carpet from late June to early August, is simply overwhelming. At the expansive farm, visitors can also see many other different types of pleasing-to-the-eye flowers.
7 min. on foot from Lavender-Farm Station on the JR Furano Line (this station is open only during the lavender season)
25 min. on foot from Naka-Furano Station
This small village in the forest was created by So Kuramoto, a famous screenwriter who is best known for the drama “Kita no Kuni Kara.” Along the walking path, there are 15 triangular-roofed log houses, each selling unique nature-themed crafts that feature Furano.
Access: 10 min. by car from JR Furano Station
(3) Nasu (Tochigi Prefecture)With a ranch where visitors can see and touch animals as well as visit historic spots and sights in nature, Nasu is a popular tourist area, especially among families. It is also known as a royal resort, since the area boasts an imperial villa.
・Nasu Animal Kingdom
This zoo rears as many as 150 kinds of animals, including rare manul cats and sand cats. You can get close-up with the animals during petting and feeding sessions. Performance shows are offered every day, where you can see the physical abilities of animals closely—not to be misssed!
You can also observe animals indoors, so you can have a fun time regardless of the weather.
Nasu Animal Kingdom
Access: About 70 min. by complimentary shuttle bus from Nasushiobara Station *A reservation is required (until 17:00 on the previous day)
This ropeway runs from the base to the top of Mt. Chausu-dake, and takes about 4 minutes. In October, you can enjoy—in a relaxing atmosphere—the gorgeous view of colorful autumn foliage from above.
・Nasu Stained Glass Museum
At one of the largest antique stained glass museums in Japan, you can make your own stained glass. Various classes are offered, including one that is about 30 minutes in duration. Feel free to join!
Nasu Stained Glass Museum
Access: About 20 min. by taxi from JR Kuroiso Station
(4) Niijima (one if the Izu Islands in Tokyo)This island, beloved by surfers from all over the world, can be reached in about two and a half hours by high-speed jet ferry from Tokyo’s Takeshiba Pier. With its high water visibility, you can also encounter various kinds of fish while diving.
One of Niijima’s famous surfing spots. The beautiful contrast between the white building that is referred to as the “Main Gate” and the blue ocean brings additional excitement to your extraordinary experience on this island.
・Niijima Glass Art Center
“Niijima Glass” is beautiful light olive green-colored glass, which is made by melting a unique kind of volcanic stone that is only available on the island. This center offers a hands-on glassblowing class.
Niijima Glass Art Center
(5) Kaichu-doro causeway and the islands (Okinawa Prefecture)This underwater road connects four islands, and starts from Yokatsu Peninsula in Uruma City, located in the middle part of Okinawa. Driving while gazing at the emerald-blue ocean on both sides is an amazing feeling.
“Henza Island,” a tranquil island that is connected to the main island.
“Hamahiga Island,” an island of Gods, filled with spiritual sites.
“Miyagi Island,” offering a great panoramic view of the ocean from Kafu Banta (Happy Cliff).
“Ikei Island,” with its landmark bright red bridge.
＜Resort places to visit on a day trip from Tokyo＞
(6) Okutama (Tokyo)If you want to fully enjoy nature while hiking or camping on your day trip from Tokyo, Okutama is the place to go. You can easily enjoy exploring its hidden charms.
Fresh green leaves in summer and colorful leaves in autumn are reflected on the surface of the water, creating a beautiful shimmering effect. Don’t forget to try the floating bridge, which allows you to walk across the lake.
(7) Atami (Shizuoka Prefecture)This major resort area is a popular place to enjoy the ocean, onsen, and local food. Once one of the most popular honeymoon destinations in Japan, its popularity is perhaps in part because of its accessiblility from Tokyo—Atami is only about a 50 minute Shinkansen ride from Tokyo Station.
・AKAO HERB & ROSE GARDEN
Beautiful roses of various colors are in bloom, and various kinds of herbs are grown in 12 themed gardens. This garden has many places to see, including a cafe at an elevated spot that has a panoramic view of Sagami Bay, as well as a souvenir shop and workshop.
AKAO HERB & ROSE GARDEN
Access: 15 min. by bus from Atami Station
・MOA Museum of Art
This is an art museum with an ocean view, where you can enjoy various art works, including Japanese art. After taking a lengthy escalator from the entrance, you can immediately dive into the world of art.
MOA Museum of Art
Access: 7 min. by bus from Atami Station
(8) Minamiboso (Chiba Prefecture)Minamiboso is a temperate beach-side area, located at the tip of Boso Peninsula. You can not only enjoy the beautiful ocean but also various kinds of flowers as well as seasonal fruit picking.
・Kamogawa Sea World
This large-scale aquarium rears and exhibits more than 11,000 creatures of various kinds. Powerful performances by huge killer whales and dolphins in stadiums facing the Pacific Ocean are popular events among visitors.
Kamogawa Sea World
Access: 10 min. by complimentary courtesy bus from JR Awa-Kamogawa Station
*The information herein is as of June 2020.